This dish I cooked up is like a risotto with a combination of spice, savoury and tang. The rice takes on the flavours of the spices and vegies.
Savoury Chilli Chicken with Capsicum and Snow Peas
1/2 diced onion
1 small diced tomato
1/4 diced red capsicum
4 Buk choy leaves chopped
3 Broccoli flower heads
Handful of diced snow peas
Crushed corn flakes
Sauces: Chilli, Tomato, Balsamic Vinegar, Hot Peri Peri, Worcestishire
Part A – The vegies
– Combine all the vegies above into a rice cooker and fill with water, enough to cover the vegies.
– Add a generous amount of tomato sauce to the vegies. Stir.
– Add a generous dash of hot Peri Peri sauce. Stir.
– Add a dash of Chilli sauce. Stir.
– Microwave for about 5 minutes on high.
Part B – The rice
– Add a generous amount of olive oil to a wok/fry pan.
– Add a generous amount of Worcestishire sauce, proportional to the amount of olive oil.
– Add a small amount of Balsamic vinegar.
– Drain the water and sauces from the vegies into the fry pan/wok. This serves as our stock for cooking the rice.
– Pour a desired quantity of rice into the fry pan. Generally the water should cover the rice by about a centimetre or two.
– Fry the rice until most of the water has evaporated (see below). Be sure to stir the rice when there is little water left to prevent overcooking.
– Once the rice looks to be ready split the rice to one side of the pan and add in your vegies:
– Cook the vegies on that side of the pan for awhile (5 minutes or so) and then mix into the rice.
– Continue cooking until most of the water has evaporated and the rice has a good crispy and clumpy consistency (ensure it isn’t soggy). At this stage we cook our chicken.
Part C – The Chicken
– Chop the chicken fillet into bite size peices
– In a separate pan, lighlty cover with olive oil.
– Place the chopped up chicken into the pan and cook until the chicken turns white. Drain any fat.
– When the chicken becomes white pour more olive oil in, such that the chicken is half covered in oil. This assists to add flavour to the chicken.
– Add a dash of chilli sauce to each chicken peice and let it simmer for a couple minutes.
– Once the chicken starts turning golden brown, sprinkle with crushed corn flakes.
– Continue until cooked.
Part D – Serving
– Serve the vegies and rice first onto a large plate.
– Place the chicken on top and add a dash of lemon if desired.
– Garnish with a fresh lettuce leaf.
– Enjoy with a Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot.